The current 45 foot tall round lighthouse was built in 1898. The first pair of lighthouses on northern end of Island were built 1787. A detailed history can be found at Newburyport Harbor (Plum Island) Lighthouse.
Looking down the circular staircase inside the lighthouse
Detailed look at the lighthouse's wall construction. note how the boards are set an angle. It provides additional strength to the structure to withstand the ocean's gales.
North Jetty and Salisbury Beach State Reservation with many beach goers on this warm day.
Some fishermen on the North Jetty
Busy boat traffic in the river
View of the South Jetty
Ominous storm clouds gather along the river
Storm clouds reflected in glass windows of the lighthouse